The International Carnivorous Plant Society is proud to announce Carnivores in the Classroom grants!
The submission period for the 2023 grants is closed. The 2024 grant period will be open August 1 - August 31, 2024.
Do You Qualify?
- Are you a member of the International Carnivorous Plant Society?
- Are you a kindergarten through 12th grade public or private school?
If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you are eligible to apply. To become an ICPS member or e-member visit https://icps.clubexpress.com.
How to Apply?
Create a PowerPoint lesson (5-slide minimum) that centers around the amazing attributes of carnivorous plants. The slides should be directions or instructions for the students. In the “notes” section please include important talking points, standard alignments, references, or anything else a teacher wanting to utilize the lesson should know.
Lessons can be about any aspect of carnivorous plants. Ideas include, but are not limited to, evolution, adaptation, conservation, chemical processes like photosynthesis or digestion, a testable question done through a lab experiment or long-term observation.
We have animated videos written and produced by the ICPS. These include worksheets that you may find helpful in drafting your lesson.
Once your lesson is complete email our Education Director at email@example.com and include:
In the body of the email:
- Name as it appears on your ICPS membership
- The lesson group: Grade K-2, Grade 3-5, Grade 6-8, Grade, 9-12
- School Name
- School Address
- PowerPoint lesson
- Any additional printable Word student worksheets, if applicable
On September 15th, winners will be notified via email.
If you live within an area of one of our generous donors, we will match you with them and they will send you $150 USD of carnivorous plants to your classroom! If you do not live within one of those areas, the ICPS will PayPal you $150 USD to order your own carnivorous plants for your classroom. Money may only be spent on carnivorous plants.
Terms & Conditions
- All submitted lessons will be posted on the ICPS website, to help germinate the love of carnivorous plants.
- You may only submit ONE APPLICATION per school, per school year.
- Teachers who have previously received an ICPS Carnivores in the Classroom Grant (CCG) are eligible to apply for a new grant as the application is different for 2023.
- Grants are offered to kindergarten through 12th grade teachers in both public and private schools. (Homeschools, Home Daycare Centers and preschools do not qualify currently.)
- These grants are intended to support adding carnivorous plants in the classroom for the purposes of teaching children science related standards.
- Grant approval is at the sole discretion of the ICPS, based on application quality and funds available.
- Grants are not transferable.
- Between February 1st and February 15th, 2024 the awardee agrees to provide a paragraph description (250 words) and three (3) photos highlighting how they used the grant. This submission will be published in the ICPS’s CPN (Carnivorous Plant Newsletter).
For more information, please contact ICPS Education Director Kenny Coogan.
Grants are funded by generous donations by carnivorous plant nurseries, our members, and the public. If you can help fund a Carnivores in the Classroom grant so we can reach even more people, please Donate Now.