Instructions to Authors
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter is the official journal of The International Carnivorous Plant Society. It is dedicated to the distribution of knowledge about carnivorous plants, including information on cultivation, conservation, and related fields of botany. Carnivorous Plant Newsletter thrives only because of a steady stream of material from its readership; members of the Society are encouraged to submit articles.
It may take up to a year or more for a contribution to be published, and any manuscript may be edited to some degree prior to publication. Concise and clear writing will result in the minimum number of editorial changes. Authors will be contacted only if the editorial modifications are significant. If your manuscript is a scientific work, the editors may request external peer reviews. If certain external peers should be excluded from the reviewing process, this must be stated in a cover letter.
Follow these guidelines when submitting contributions:
- All pieces must have titles.
- Include a list of the names of all the authors.
- Provide an email address for the author who should be contacted if we require more information.
- Scientific contributions should include complete addresses for all authors; email addresses are acceptable for other contributions. This information will be published unless you request otherwise.
- Full citation of all references quoted in the text must be provided in a section following the text of the manuscript.
- All illustrations, diagrams, and tables must include descriptive captions. Include these captions at the end of your manuscript. For format style, follow the examples of recent articles in the Newsletter.
- Contributions should be submitted on a CD or by e-mail. You should also send a hardcopy of your documents to ensure your tables or special character accents are reproduced correctly.
- All submissions must be in electronic form.
- Computer files should be in Microsoft Word (.doc), rich text format (.rtf), ASCII text (.txt) or sent in an email.
Images and Artwork. Quality photographs and original artwork may be submitted. High quality electronic images are best. Slides or prints are acceptable, but will not be returned, so only submit duplicates. Color illustrations are expensive to publish, so we may not be able to use all your photographs or we may print them in black and white.
- Photos should be submitted electronically.
- Photo file name should be numbered so they match the figure legends on your manuscript.
- Photos without supporting text are discouraged.
- Images should be sent in a lossless format such as tiff, and at least 1000 pixels on each side. Smaller images will not print well, and may be rejected.
- Avoid sending jpgs as the compression algorithms seriously degrade the images.
- Since photos can be too large for email, contact the editors before sending for instructions.
- Slides, quality prints, or artwork may be submitted, but will result in delays. Page costs for illustrations are high and since the duplication and printing process may render apparently fine images unattractive, your images may not be published.
- If you must submit slides, quality prints or artwork, to protect against loss, you should retain your original photographs and submit to us duplicate prints or slides.
- The editorial staff will assume your illustrations are duplicates---they will not be returned unless requested in your cover letter.
- Manuscripts which report upon field trips or activities that involve field collection should specify the permits that were required to allow the work to be completed. If no permits (beyond, for example, simple park access passes, etc.) were required, a simple statement to that effect can be substituted. This information should be included at the end of the article, along with other “Acknowledgements”, if any. Examples are: “No special permits were required to visit the sites described in this paper”, “Permission to visit this site was given verbally by the owners,” “Permission to visit this site and collect plants was granted by Lassen Volcanic National Park, permit #LAVO-2005-SCI-0009.”
- All material submitted for publication must be original and unpublished.
- If copyrighted material is submitted, it must be accompanied by a written expressed license to reproduce it in Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, signed by the copyright holder.
Submission of materials to Carnivorous Plant Newsletter for publication is with the understanding that the ICPS will retain nonexclusive unlimited rights to it. The materials may be republished on the ICPS world wide web site, or other ICPS publications (credit to the authors will always be given). Contact the editors for instructions if you wish to reprint an article that appeared in Carnivorous Plant Newsletter in another journal.
Send submissions and items intended for publication to:
International Carnivorous Plant Society, Inc.
1564-A Fitzgerald Drive, PMB 322
Pinole, CA 94564-2229, USA